The difference between energy storage battery and power battery?

Author: OMMO Balcony Solar Systems Manufacturer Copyfrom: May. 16, 2024

The difference between energy storage battery and power battery?

There are significant differences between energy storage battery and power batteries in several aspects, and the following is a detailed comparison.

Dongguan OMMO Technology manufacturing 2400W outdoor energy storage battery product picture

The difference between energy storage battery and power batteries mainly includes the following four aspects:

1. Application Scenarios

(1) Energy storage batteries are mainly used for the storage of renewable energy such as solar energy, wind power, hydropower, and the peak-valley power balance of the power system, distributed energy storage, etc. They are usually used in large-scale energy storage systems, such as grid energy storage, large-scale renewable energy power stations, etc.

(2) Power batteries are mainly used in new energy vehicles, electric bicycles, electric trains and other means of transportation to provide a power source for these devices.

2. Performance requirements

(1) Energy storage batteries have higher requirements for cycle life, because their charge and discharge cycles are more frequent. The life requirements of general energy storage batteries are 3500-5000 charge and discharge cycles, which is much higher than the life of mainstream power batteries (such as ternary lithium batteries are generally 1200 charge and discharge cycles, and lithium iron phosphate batteries are 2000 times). In addition, the structural design of energy storage batteries pays more attention to energy density and capacity to achieve long-term energy storage and release.

(2) Power batteries pay more attention to power density and charge and discharge rate, because they need to provide enough power for electric vehicles. The performance indexes of power battery mainly include energy density, power density, charge and discharge rate and cycle life.

3. Volume

(1) Power batteries are mostly used in new energy vehicles and other vehicles, so their volume is relatively large. The volume of a single power battery may be equivalent to a dozen or twenty large carpets stacked together.

(2) The energy storage battery is composed of multiple battery modules to form a large module, and then composed of many large modules, and the volume of the energy storage battery is close to the container.

4. Cost

(1) In terms of cost, there are also differences in the cost structure of energy storage batteries and power batteries. In the energy storage battery system, the battery cost accounts for 60%, the energy storage inverter cost accounts for 20%, the energy management system accounts for 10%, and the battery management system accounts for 5%.

(2) In the power battery, only the cell cost accounts for up to 80%, and the remaining 20% is the battery management system, structural parts, auxiliary materials, etc.

In summary, there are significant differences between energy storage battery and power batteries in application scenarios, performance requirements, volume and cost. These differences give the two batteries unique advantages and value in their respective fields.